My TEDx Talk

It was an honour to be invited to speak at the 2014 TEDx Lausanne. The members of the organizing committee were professional, hard-working and enthusiastic. The other speakers were passionate and supportive. The audience was amazing!

Here’s my talk:

I am passionate about public speaking and helping others improve their public speaking and presentation skills.
This entry was posted in TED and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to My TEDx Talk

1. Pingback: Spectacular Speaking Barcelona 2015 » Five Speaking Lessons from TEDx Place des Nations

2. Pingback: Five Speaking Lessons from TEDx Place des Nations | Manner of Speaking

3. Venkat says:

Hello John,

This was an awesome speech and I like the way you narrated it. Content and flow were phenomenal. I agree with you closing comments on that ONE step with FAITH taken will change the direction of life.

Best Wishes,
    Venkat

4. Birendra says:

Hi John,

I find all your speeches great, and enjoyed a lot the humourous ones.

This TEDx one is so inspiring. I shall encourage my fellow members at my Toastmasters club in Mauritius to watch your videos and learn from your site.

All the best John.

Birendra

Hi Birendra,

Many thanks for the kind message. I am glad that you have enjoyed my speeches and the blog. I have a friend from Mauritius and hope to visit your country one day.

Regards to you and your Toastmasters colleagues,

5. Elli says:

Absolutely inspiring, John! Public speaking ain’t easy, but with a little training and determination miracles are possible. Even a journey of thousand miles begins with a single step – perhaps with the first presentation, right? Keep up the good job and motivation for thousands! Thanks!

6. Wow John! I was thrilled! Inspiring!

7. Reblogged this on Erlesenes, Erlogenes, Erlebtes and commented:
    Diese Angst vor dem Neuen hat so viel Beflügelndes, da freut man sich doch gleich noch mehr auf den nächsten Schritt.

8. Hi John
    Thanks a lot for this talk. Sometimes life seems to be a whole aisle of thresholds, and suddenly time starts when you draw (additional) faith of looking back on all the steps you have already taken.
    Roswitha

9. What a captivating talk, John. I loved the pace and the humour.

I’m about to do my 10th speech at Toastmasters (the requirement being “inspire your audience”), so I’ve been looking at various TED and TEDx talks, seeking inspiration to be inspiring! Your talk has given me food for thought to look at events in my own life to speak about, so thanks for sharing.

Hi Craig. Thanks very much for the comment. Glad that it has helped a little bit with your talk. Congratulations on completing your 10th speech in the Toastmasters programme. Onward and upward!

10. Dave Clark says:

Huzzah, sir! Inspiring and demonstrative of great speaking technique. I’m curious, how much of the language have you picked up or are you gifted with many languages?

Thanks, Dave. Glad you enjoyed the talk. As far as languages go, I spoke French and some Italian before we moved to Geneva. While in Geneva, I completed the United Nations course in Arabic and have brushed up a bit on my (still poor) German. I love languages, though, and am always picking up words and phrases in everything from Portuguese to Russian to Wolof! Geneva is a special place that way as there are people from all over the world here.

11. Merv Olsen says:

Superb talk, John!

I just posted it on the Toastmasters Members LinkedIn forum so that others can benefit from it.
    All the best in Siberia – watch out for those Tigers!

“Do you know any Toastmasters who have spoken at a TEDX event?”

Thanks, Merv!

I appreciate your comments and your sharing the link to the video. It was a lot of fun to do. Interesting to see the TEDx Talks of the other Toastmasters. One of them is a good friend of mine, Florian Mueck. Florian and I created RHETORIC – The Public Speaking Board Game™ together.

PS – Siberia was an incredible experience. One for the books for sure!

12. Phyllis Zimmer says:

Great speech John. Inspiring even for your 80 year old Mother!!!

13. peter woitowich says:

Great talk john! Good thing there was no mention of the high school graduation!! All the best and liked the Russia photos and stories!!

14. Lena Fredriksson says:

A fantastic speech! I was moved.

15. Theresa S. says:

Inspiring talk! Totally loved it.

16. markjowen says:

Wow…! Excellent.

17. JanetOber says:

Great presentation!
    Love your thoughts, especially about taking the first step even if we can’t see the ending.

18. A beautiful message!