Every Presentation Ever?

Here’s a clever video that rings true on many levels. And, as is so often the case with humour, there are lessons to be learned. See how many you can spot. Enjoy!

For some great insights into what we can learn about presentations from the clip, check out this post by my friend and fellow presenter, Jon Thomas.

This entry was posted in Humour and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Every Presentation Ever?

1. Pingback: This is Gonna Hurt…

2. We just posted an updated version of “Every Presentation Ever” here: http://youtu.be/rIABo0d9MVE

Thanks for the comment. It is a great video. If I’m not mistaken, the only change between this one is the desktop picture on the guys computer, correct?

3. Dammit, they stole my idea for a Toastmasters speech…

4. seblora says:

Funny and painful at the same time … I mean, haven’t we all been in that situation before (both as the speaker or as the audience)? A prayer for not having to go through that anymore. But, will the prayer be heard…?

Thanks for the comment, Sebastián. It is funny and painful, but at least we can laugh about the pain! Recognizing the shortcomings is the first step towards eliminating, or at least reducing, them.

5. Hi John,

Very funny and so true from both the presenter’s and audience’s perspective. A timely post for me as I’m currently preparing my first home buyers seminar (using Prezi) and attempting to make it as entertaining (and non-cliched) as possible without having to pump oxygen into the room. Like everyone else, I’ve sat through some mind numbing presentations. Hopefully I don’t add to that pile. Looking forward to more posts from you (I signed up for your feed).

Thanks.

Conor

Hi Conor,

Thanks very much for the comment and for signing up for the feed. Glad you like the blog. Best of luck with your presentation. I’ve played around with Prezi at home but use Keynote as my standard presentation software. I did a post on Prezi a while back. Recently, it has spawned some interesting comments and discussion about the effect that Prezi can have on the audience. You might want to have a look.

• Thanks for pointing me over to your Prezi post and comments. I’m definitely aware of the nausea potential and after getting over the initial novelty of the “wow, look at what this can do” I learned to tone it way down. I need to consider it from the audience’s perspective, especially for evening classes.

The 2 main benefits for me are the “spatial relationship” – I can paint on a single canvas / tell a story – and also the potential to make educational videos (with voice over) that will “pop” compared to say power point…and of course it’s free! However, I paid a fee to keep my presentations private if needed.

Conor

I will be very interested to hear how it all works, Conor. I think you are definitely on the right track when you talk about toning the presentation down. Simplicity is always better. I found your comment about videos “popping” interesting; that was one of the key motivating factors for me to switch to Keynote. Just drag, drop, position where you want, resize and select start and stop times. The whole process can be done in less than a minute and it works like a charm.

Best of luck with the presentation. Let us know how it turns out.

6. Karen Clark says:

Thinking WOW! Laughing out loud. Thinking of people I hope see this. Hoping they aren’t offended. Clicking Share on Facebook anyway!